Altitude grown: 1,460- 2,000m
Processing: wet processed
Co-op membership: 3,600 farmers
Region: Kivu highlands, Eastern Congo
Congo Coffee to Benefit the Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund International Critically endangered Grauer’s gorillas are found only in the Democratic Republic of Congo. The Fossey Fund now operates a permanent research and conservation field station in the core of Grauer’s gorilla range, working closely with traditional landowners and other local partners. Thanksgiving Coffee donates 10% of all online sales of Gorilla Fund cause coffee. If you want to help even more, visit their website, Other Ways to Help page and we'll add an additional 15%! Thats a total 25% rebate to help save gorillas. Since 2004 we have raised $58,494.28 and counting…
"Didn't realize I had selected the dark roast when I ordered somehow, but it suits this coffee good. Immediate chocolate punch on first opening. Giving the medium roast a go on the next one. (And it's Fairtrade from SOPACDI - a co-op doing some amazing work in the Congo.)" From Kyle of Madison, Wisconsin on 4/10/2017.
Coffee to Water Ratio
Using the correct amount of coffee will ensure that your coffee is brewed to strength, without over-extracting or under-extracting the coffee to compensate for an inappropriate dose. We recommend 2 grams of coffee for every fluid ounce of water used to brew. Weighing coffee is the most accurate way to measure the appropriate dose. If a scale is not available, we recommend 2 heaping tablespoons of ground coffee for every 5 ounces of water used to brew.
Producing the correct particle size in ground coffee is one of the most important steps in coffee brewing. In general, a finer grind will produce a more intense brew and a coarser grind will produce a less intense brew. At the same time, a grind that is too fine will produce an over-extracted, astringent brew, and a grind that is too coarse will produce a weak, under-extracted brew lacking flavor. In pour-over methods, grind size also affects the rate of extraction, as water will pass more slowly through a finer grind, and more quickly through a coarser grind. We strongly recommend burr grinders over blade grinders.
Water Temperature and Quality
Water temperature dramatically affects the extraction of coffee’s flavor during brewing. We recommend brewing with water at 200° Fahrenheit for best results. Using fresh, clean, chlorine-free water is essential.